March 5, 2009

Why I Hate Duke - Part 2: The Flopping

If you keep up with college basketball - and by college I mean the ACC because it is the only one worth actually following - you know Dook is notorious for getting away with murder when it comes to officiating, i.e. see last Why I Hate Duke post. Well, there has been one particular problem that has plagued the ACC and greater basketball community as a whole since Coach K began his tenure. The fucking flopping.

I blame it on the referees for giving Dook too much credit for historically being a good defensive team. Charges are a difficult thing to pull off if you are a defensive player [another reason I think Tyler Hansbrough is still the best college basketball player in the country; that man knows how to draw a charge]. You almost always have the disadvantage because there are a lot of factors going into a correct charge call. Feet planted, established permission, all that jazz. Officials mostly will either just call the blocking foul, or nothing at all. I can live with the non-call, but when you start handing out charges to a team because of its reputation it gets to be absurd. Shane Battier was notorious for this back in his stay at Hansbrough Indoor Stadium. I apologize for not being able to find a video, but his rep has carried over to the NBA. Bull shit, I watched him and K's trickery for too many years to know this is not legit.



Say Battier is a charge taker though, the rest of Dook is not. Yet, they all will still get calls. I would love to witness the first day of practice in which Coach Weasel instructs his players how to start falling before a player reaches them.



Listen to the people laugh at him.

The problem exceeds further than just charge calls. These guys drop like flies. Check out the former duo of Redick and Deng.



Redick's ability my ass.



Look at the bench's eagerness to get all huffy at the refs. Who said they weren't smart.

Danny Green has solved this flopping scenario though.



Really though the conclusion is simple, they fall down like Jenga blocks.

Enjoy this compilation with my favorite fainting goats (no not the Dookies).

No comments:

Post a Comment